Has there ever been a more problematic development project than the Cooper Square Hotel? Let us count the ways.
- The futuristic design is out of context with the neighborhood and has been panned by both civic groups and architecture critics.
- Management failed to get approval for its planned bar and lounge spaces, and . . .
- The bars that were approved are subject to early closing times, and its patrons are constantly harassed by the neighborhood residents.
- They have opened during the worst travel recession in New York since 2001.
- The development partners are no longer speaking to one another.
And the final kick in the teeth? Frank "the Tank" Bruni comes in and gives Table 8 at the Cooper Square Hotel a big fat zero stars. Zero! Frank says, "The people behind Table 8 have given too little thought to logistics and comfort. They were inattentive when they put the place together, and they’re inattentive still." Ouch. On a positive note, Table 8 does draw a crowd on a nightly basis, and in a big eff you to the Community Board, the Coop does host those kicking penthouse parties. But will this place ever get some good press? Oh Coop, we weep for thee.