Just how bad is the club business these days? Let us count the ways.
- Club owners don't like to say the word club anymore.
- Bottle service is now taboo. Table service is in.
- Club owners are turning old clubs into restaurant spaces named after old men.
- Revenues at Marquee, the best run nightclub in NYC, are down 22% in 2009.
- Revenues at Room Service, a non-descript club, are down 40%. They peaked in November 2007!
- The hottest bar in New York is SuperDive, home to live blogs and keg service.
This isn't an article from the Onion. It's from the Paper of Record, and shows just how desperate club owners are to find a winning formula after the bottom dropped out from their tried and true business model. We say small and exclusive always works, and maybe offer some killer deals to random customers to keep them coming back when the fun times return. Most importantly, it behooves you to Be Different! The lesson of SuperDive is that its better to be original and fail miserably than to copy a successful model and be middle of the road.