Monday
Mar022009

The Eldridge: Where the Customer is #1

More fun from the Eldridge, where unlike other lounges in New York, the customer is the #1 top priority. According to a Little Birdy, a would be birthday girl worked with club management to celebrate a special birthday with friends in the tiny space. When they showed up to get the night started, the entire party was turned away. Our LB says, "she had planned it way in advance and they made her promise to buy several bottles of overpriced alcohol." Left out in the cold with the birthday potentially ruined, the group started working furiously to find an alternative. LB says,  "finally, bungalow took them (they got a table and bottles)." You know they always have room. Another stunning example of the Eldrige being in a class of its own.

« Jane Hotel Lounge Getting Set | Main | When Philly Wants NYC, It Wants 1OAK »

References (1)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.

they were probably ugly, we don't want ugly people in the LES

March 2, 2009 at 09:58AM | Unregistered CommenterI AM LES

it also shows you that elridge is not about the money, if they are turning away people that are trying to buy bottles, atleast they are keeping it real, it isn't about money, send the $$ to 27th street where they belong, it just shows you how tough the door is, and how weak bungalow has become, bunglow is elridge leftovers

March 2, 2009 at 10:02AM | Unregistered CommenterI AM LES

technically its not a customer, they never got in

March 2, 2009 at 10:52AM | Unregistered Commenternever got in

no ugly people on the les? are you kidding? just because you all wear skinny jeans a cowyboy shirt and a fedora doesnt make you good looking.

March 2, 2009 at 11:12AM | Unregistered Commenterhipsters smell

Set up a party at a douchey venue and plan to be treated like a douche. This girl sounds absolutely clueless. The party ending up at Bungalow (where I'm sure they bulked up that credit card debt on ridicululously overpriced hooch--Recession what??) speaks volumes. Sad that some people are so desperate for validation that they needed to trek to the opposite side of town for a "name" venue as opposed to hitting up any of the hundreds of bars within spitting distance of The Eldrige. Oh well, at least they got out of my neighborhood.

March 2, 2009 at 11:39AM | Unregistered CommenterBilly

i live on the LES and the people are not so pretty.

March 2, 2009 at 11:45AM | Unregistered Commenterover it

i guess they were just straight up ugly

March 2, 2009 at 12:03PM | Unregistered Commenterugly

I think we need more information here... How did the girl go about setting up the party? Is she a regular at the Eldrige... (I'm assuming no since they didn't let her in at all)? Why didn't she just call the manager she reserved it with? While Bungalow is not the Bungalow of a few years ago they still try and keep it tight - so I imagine her party couldn't have been *that* ugly or a group of sausage fest. There is probably more to this story! I am sharping my sword for the Eldridge though.

March 2, 2009 at 12:35PM | Unregistered Commenterneed_more_info

also I AM LES how can say its not about the money when the Eldridge has "650000 worth of Champagne on the wall" as quoted by Mr. Levine in NY Mag... Ha yeah right Bungalow is Eldridge leftovers - at least they know how to treat people. I can't imagine Rose Bar, 1 Oak, or even Beatrice pulling this kinda of shit if the party was arranged correctly - again we need all of the facts though

March 2, 2009 at 12:44PM | Unregistered Commenterneed_more_info

Beatrice does this all the time, actually. But it is a little lame to throw your birthday party at either place -- make your own cool rather than borrow it from matt levine .

March 2, 2009 at 01:22PM | Unregistered CommenterTeabiscuit

beatrice does do this all the time, even when i called the eldridge # myself to make a reservation myself, the lady who picked up the phone told me "its doorman's discretion for entry," and i am sure they were told this, it sucks to get rejected haha

March 2, 2009 at 01:36PM | Unregistered CommenterLES in the house

yeah I suppose your asking for it if you don't know the doormen well enough... I've seen some pretty large groups roll into beatrice before - ha not polo wearing tourists though! poor b-day girl ha !

March 2, 2009 at 01:52PM | Unregistered Commenterneed_more_info

Correction to the story: The entire group was NOT turned away at the door. Matt Levine called an hour before the party was supposed to start to say that The Eldridge had to close for the night due to water/plumbing issues. All tables/parties were forced to relocate.

March 2, 2009 at 07:07PM | Unregistered CommenterBirthday Girl

There really was a water pipe burst...I saw the manger of Eldridge walking down 27th street with like 15 girls....what a pimp!!

Did anyone see Joelle from Pink E chase me down 27th street Saturday in the Elephant costume all the way to Cain?

That was pretty classic!

March 2, 2009 at 08:59PM | Unregistered CommenterTattoo

Seems farfetched.... Only thing I can think of is that the person who booked the birthday party didn't tell Mr. Levine she'd be coming with 40 midgets from the circus.

March 2, 2009 at 09:03PM | Unregistered CommenterAPDF

My table at the Eldridge was cancelled last min on Sat night too. Matt gave me the same pipe/water story. Really screwed up our party plans.

March 2, 2009 at 11:23PM | Unregistered CommenterLESguy

Wow a guy who "manages" a nightclub out with a big group girls ? I wonder if they like him for him.

The b & c list models, FIT and foreign exchange students you're describing have nothing better to do than get some free drinks (and whatever else) .... which is fine, but why is that impressive? The real deal isn't going to spend their night off shuttling from place to place cramped up with ten other girls in the back of some tired SUV. Would you if you had a choice?

March 2, 2009 at 11:24PM | Unregistered CommenterTeabiscuit

hey.. i had my birthday party at the eldridge back in december. everything worked out perfectly and we had a great time thanks to Matt!

March 4, 2009 at 11:10PM | Unregistered CommenterLyudmila