Monday
Mar022009

Austin Gets a Kiss and Fly

When most clubs think expansion, they usually look to Las Vegas, Miami, London or Dubai. Naturally. That's why we were surprised when a Little Birdy in Austin, TX (a Mockingbird, perhaps?) reported seeing a sign that Kiss and Fly was poised to open in the heart of the Texas capital, saying "Just saw this . . .  Either someone is ripping off the brand, which is super gay, or they are actually opening here which is super retarded." While we don't like your tone LB, we do have to commend your ability to read the tea leaves. By looking at the logo, it's either straight brand theft or a licensing deal. But unlike K&F NYC,  Kiss and Fly Austin is billed as "Austin's Only Gay Nightclub". We thinks we smells a lawsuit. If you are in Austin and looking for some gay fun, the party starts March 25. It may not last long.

« Help Wanted | Main | Best Best Best »

god that place looks ugly.

March 2, 2009 at 03:25PM | Unregistered Commenterwow

austin's only gay club? hahaha. kind of poetic, actually.

March 2, 2009 at 04:22PM | Unregistered Commenterstua

I give this 3 months, tops. I see it's in the location of the old Vicci, a club that was trying to bring the bottle service, pseudo-VIP, velvet-rope vibe to Austin. Despite pouring a ton of money into it and doing more advertising than every other club in the city combined, it didn't last. This city just doesn't have that kind of vibe. Hell, this is the place where a ratty old goth club was voted best dance club in the city. I wouldn't be surprised if the building's owners decided, after Vicci crashed, that they try an upscale gay club, since the gay scene here is a bit more amenable to that kind of crap.

That said, are they really trying to say they're the only gay nightclub in Austin? There's Rain, Oilcan, Rainbow Cattle Company, Chain Drive, and those are just what I (an average straight guy) can name off the top of my head.

March 2, 2009 at 04:24PM | Unregistered CommenterLance

ha you call yourself an average straight guy and can name four gay clubs off the "top" of your head?

March 2, 2009 at 05:25PM | Unregistered Commenterneed_more_info

Well anyone that thinks Rain, OCH, and Rainbow are "dance clubs" obviously is straight. Dance clubs require clubby music that you dance to on a large dance floor. Rain and OCH have the house/techno dance music but tiny tiny tiny dance floors. Rainbow has the dance floor, but not the dance music.

March 3, 2009 at 12:59AM | Unregistered CommenterChris K

DBTH you have the strangest commenters.!

March 3, 2009 at 09:23AM | Unregistered CommenterWilly Be G

piss and die.

March 3, 2009 at 04:43PM | Unregistered Commentersv

All of those bars mentioned are bars, not clubs. Austin's gay scene doesn't really have any "clubs", until now, which it really does need. If it's anything like S4 in Dallas, it will do very well.

March 3, 2009 at 09:35PM | Unregistered CommenterRyan

Maybe in Seattle or SF but not here... it's just not the right vibe. I'd be surprised if they lasted a year.

March 6, 2009 at 01:42AM | Unregistered CommenterZak

This club will put Austin on the map.

March 23, 2009 at 06:21PM | Unregistered CommenterMichael Branon

I've been saying for years that Austin has needed a club scene, but I'm curious if it will work or not. I say, we give it a chance, but I think the vibe is all off and everything, but let's see what happens before we all start poo pooing it.

The bar owner is straight and he has never owned a gay club before...but he saw what Rain was doing and made a business decision. (Yes, this is inside knowledge, not idle speculation) I say more gay bars is cool, but all it's going to do is move the same old queens to new venues.

Oh, and talk about absolute iconic ripoff with the logo!!

March 25, 2009 at 02:49PM | Unregistered CommenterZack in ATX