Thursday
Aug282008

Interview with El Bano

Apparently, we are cool enough to get a bit of time with the management of El Bano. We would love to share our conversation with you:

Is this for real?
I assume you mean the name, which we get a chuckle out of as well.  We
think it's a great name considering how our club is set up.  You must
enter through a bathroom.  I can't say any more about that though.

Do you have any previous nightlife experience? Are you involved in any
other venues?

I've run many clubs through the years, some in new york and some in
Europe.  This was kind of a just for fun project a few business associates
and I decided to put together.  I will say that we are heavily
bankrolled...I'm talking real money from real players in business and we
play hard.

Are you in Manhattan or Brooklyn?
I've been to Brooklyn before, but honestly why would we open a club there?
 We're going for exclusivity, for the rich, the famous.  None of which is
in the outer boroughs.  I will say we are downtown but I won't give the
exact location just yet.

What is the approximate capacity of this space?
We have capacity for 150 people including a private VIP area that is
modeled after a bathroom I once visited in Kyoto.  We even shipped in the
same tile they used.  It's so luxurious, you have to see it to believe it.

What will your hours be?
Right now we're only booking private parties for our fabulous friends,
though when we do the grand opening, we'll only be open Wednesday through
Saturday nights from 11-4am.

Do you have Fashion Week events booked?
Yes, for the entire week.  We are excited to get open after all of this
time.  We can't say who has parties booked but we're going to be filled to
the brim with models which is always fun!

What kind of music will you have?
Only the best party music.  We have a roster of rotating DJ's as well as
acts we fly in from the UK and Paris.  We love that Paris dance music
right now.
« Mr. West Is Ready For You | Main | Lavo Invites Us to Bathe »

that is the question... is this for real? smells fishy.

August 28, 2008 at 01:18PM | Unregistered Commenterstua

sweet. cant wait! oh wait... i guess i have to.

August 28, 2008 at 01:31PM | Unregistered Commentermatt

It does seem weird, though the domain was registered in 2006. Kind of a long time to do a practical joke and opening clubs take time in this city.

August 28, 2008 at 01:32PM | Unregistered CommenterBlam

but, for real real? it's a great name and concept. i hope it's real and i admire the anonymity of the jokers opening it. love anything different, so hope it is, but...

August 28, 2008 at 01:41PM | Unregistered Commenterstua

come on its cleary a parody of apothecarie and the eldridge (and all the other "speakeasy" type places, but these two in particular). DBTH is making a valid point about how disturbing the quest for exclusivity is in contemporary NY nightlife. Why are we so concerned with hanging out with people who may not have been pre-screaned and deemed sufficiently l"ike us" in order to get a key? I'd like to hear DBTH write seriously on what he thinks about these trends. Should we just do away with keys, passwords and six figure salary bouncers and just have private clubs like in London? Call a spade a spade.

August 28, 2008 at 02:41PM | Unregistered Commenter11luke

...all the lonely people

August 28, 2008 at 03:37PM | Unregistered Commenterword up

When you're told you can't have something, it only makes you want it more. That's why clubs make people stand on line...to show people how exclusive they are. That's why VIP and bottle service works so well. Hopefully the experience is worth the game.

Have fun.
Gamal
www.newyorknightsonline.com

August 28, 2008 at 03:50PM | Unregistered CommenterGamal

Right, because all the models are out partying during fashion week non-stop, every night! That's what models do during fashion week, and you'll find them at El Bano.

August 28, 2008 at 04:29PM | Unregistered Commenterteabiscuit

Assuming this interview to be truthful (on the proprietors side, not DBTHs)...the tiles from Kyoto may be hint #2 - - I've heard many times from different people in the industry that Greg Brier (Aspen/HighBar, etc) spends a ton of time in Japan (Kyoto possibly)...did I just solve this mystery??

August 28, 2008 at 09:07PM | Unregistered CommenterB&T

August 28, 2008 at 09:08PM | Unregistered CommenterB&T

The NYC Health Department won't have an issue with the entrance being in the bathroom...? They seem to be pretty picky lately.

August 28, 2008 at 11:25PM | Unregistered CommenterTCC

You all are just jealous b/c you'll never have a laser-engraved urinal puck to get in.

August 29, 2008 at 01:32AM | Unregistered Commenteradnm

I just got a package in the mail with information about the key, its a retinal scanner that comes out of prop crap from the toilet. You have to flush the toilet in the right sequence, then the scanner protrudes from the turd to verify your identity. No key sharing I guess.

August 29, 2008 at 01:05PM | Unregistered Commenterme