Wednesday
Jul232008

Heath Ledger's Final Act

So, it seems like we stumped everyone

This small space on the corner of Bedford and Lorimer is tentatively called The Five Leaves, and will be opened by one of Heath Ledger's close friends. The late actor, who's last movie is obviously doing pretty well, was a key backer of the the project and was going to be a full partner. His untimely death put the project in jeopardy, but  his father became executor of the estate and because he knew how much the project meant to heath, he released the funds to finish construction. The name Five Leaves is a working name, and comes from  Swan cigarette papers that tell you when there are just five left in a package. A bit later, we will take you inside the nautically themed cafe and bar.

« Inside Five Leaves | Main | DBTH Mystery Space »

References (1)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.
  • Response
    Now Open: Botanica 220 Conover Street (between Coffey and Dikeman), Red Hook; (718) 797-2297 Amy Langfield's New York Notebook reports that a lounge called Botanica is the newest addition to Red Hook's nightlife scene. Cocktails, such as the Death...

Great exclusive yet again DBTH!!!
Setting the bar w nightlife reporting as far as I'm concerned.

July 23, 2008 at 11:24AM | Unregistered Commenter1Oak was a real dissapointment

whoa!!!!!!!!!!! nice scoop. that's why i read DBTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 23, 2008 at 11:38AM | Unregistered Commenterstua

DBTH thats my Hood. This is fucking awesome news!!!!

July 23, 2008 at 11:55AM | Unregistered CommenterWilly Be G

Hey, wasn't the late Heath Ledger a huge admirer of Nick Drake? So, I guess the name of the restaurant might be inspired by the name of Drake's Album Five Leaves Left

July 23, 2008 at 05:03PM | Unregistered CommenterFrank

yeah, clearly an allusion to five leaves left. nice work, dbth. guest of a guest put the swan papers thing (what Drake was referencing) in their title.

July 23, 2008 at 05:34PM | Unregistered Commenterergh

wow. i'll go to a bar just cause some dead actor lent his loser buddy money to open it! you putzes.

July 23, 2008 at 05:48PM | Unregistered Commenteradrienne buckman

I'll take a dead actor over a braindead poster any time. I'm sure he's got better taste dead than "adrienne" does breathing.

This sounds like it has potential. We'll see.

July 24, 2008 at 01:33AM | Unregistered Commenterhave another drink, putzie-wutzie

Bedford & Lorimer.. really? There's the park, the new Lokal restaurant.. any idea what address this would be?

I'll go.

July 24, 2008 at 10:22AM | Unregistered Commentertony in greenpoint

okay, i clicked on the link under the photo. strike that.

July 24, 2008 at 10:23AM | Unregistered Commentertony in greenpoint

adrienne buckman is ugly

July 24, 2008 at 11:01AM | Unregistered Commenterbro

anyone know what used tobe there?

July 24, 2008 at 11:35AM | Unregistered Commentertig

it was a hair salon if its where I think it is

July 24, 2008 at 12:16PM | Unregistered Commenterdc

ah, on the corner that's been plywooded up?

July 24, 2008 at 01:52PM | Unregistered Commenter@ dc

yea def used to be a hair salon

July 25, 2008 at 03:05AM | Unregistered Commenteranna

If this is in Williamsburg it's pretty close to where I live in Manhattan. I'll be right there!

July 25, 2008 at 09:26AM | Unregistered CommenterGail

You know everyone's just going to call it the Heath bar.

July 25, 2008 at 01:30PM | Unregistered Commentersmall h

LMAO - small h! brilliant! have a pint on me...

August 1, 2008 at 01:13PM | Unregistered Commenterclarlune

I want to go but I live in Arizona, kinda a far drive for some beerm but hey i'm up for it. =]

August 7, 2008 at 05:08AM | Unregistered CommenterMicaela

I can't believe it isn't named after Nick Drake's song.

"The name Five Leaves is a working name, and comes from Swan cigarette papers that tell you when there are just five left in a package. A bit later, we will take you inside the nautically themed cafe and bar. "

I just posted 3 articles which apparently disappeard. They all had different names.

Five Leaves, Brightside, and G’Point tavern is the name, depending on which article you read.

He chose the building, according to an article for the following reason, hothing to do with TDK.

The “Dark Knight” star chose the narrow storefront across the street from McCarren Park while skateboarding around Williamsburg and Greenpoint with Longell.

“I showed him other spots, and he wouldn’t look at anything else,” Longell told People Magazine. “He liked this corner. He envisioned basically just hanging out at the park across the street. He was a big fan of Williamsburg.”

August 7, 2008 at 08:36AM | Unregistered CommenterJill

Hi there! I'm Crystal. I am almost 18. :)
I guess www.downbythehipster.com - wonderful name for this site! ;)
It is so cool here, especially in this category.
I was surfed about 2 hours before found this site. I think i'll be here for a long time! :-*

October 9, 2008 at 12:50PM | Unregistered CommenterAMistyCrissy